We know that medications are not the first-line treatment for autism spectrum disorder (ASD) management but they are helpful when first-line behavioral interventions are not helpful.
Research has indicated that aggression rates may be higher in individuals with ASD compared to those with other developmental disabilities (1). We have summarized the list of medications for both aggression & irritability management in ASD and rated them from high to low benefit rating based on The National Survey on Treatment Effectiveness for Autism (2).
WHAT IS YOUR PREFERRED MEDICATION FOR AGGRESSION & IRRITABILITY MANAGEMENT IN ASD?
- Fitzpatrick SE, Srivorakiat L, Wink LK, Pedapati EV, Erickson CA. Aggression in autism spectrum disorder: presentation and treatment options. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2016 Jun 23;12:1525-38. (PMID: 27382295)
- Coleman DM, Adams JB, Anderson AL, Frye RE. Rating of the Effectiveness of 26 Psychiatric and Seizure Medications for Autism Spectrum Disorder: Results of a National Survey. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2019;29(2):107-123. (PubMed)
FOR PSYCHIATRY EDUCATION FORUM ACADEMY SUBSCRIBERS:
Read the following 9 Chapters from the Child & Adolescent Psychiatry section from PEFA:
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
JOIN PSYCHIATRY EDUCATION FORUM ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP
This is a closed membership for medical professionals only.
- 30+ Courses/Sections: Each chapter within these sections is of direct clinical relevance for your daily practice.
- Journal Club: we will post the most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Coffee Club: contain short discussions with clinical experts in the field of psychiatry.
- Essentials of Inpatient Psychiatry Book: All chapters from this book are included in the academy sections.
- Discussion Forum & Community: Connect with other medical professionals and discuss your difficult-to-treat clinical cases.
- Conference Discounts: Academy members get discounted access at our conferences.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one place for ease of access.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR EMAIL NEWSLETTER: