PSYCHIATRY EDUCATION FORUM ACADEMY'S
NEWSLETTER MAY 2021
Here is the summary of topics posted in the month of May at Psychiatry Education Forum Academy. These topics are divided into following five sections:
- Journal Club
- Coffee Club
- Q&A Series
- PEFA Chapters
- Forum Discussions
HOW DO SCHIZOPHRENIA SYMPTOMS PROGRESS OVER 40 YEARS?
This journal club discussion is summarized in the following sections:
- Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS).
- Discuss Schizophrenia Symptomatology: Positive symptoms, Negative symptoms, Depression/Anxiety, Excitement/Hostility, and Neurocognitive impairment.
- Correlation between individual schizophrenia symptomatology and duration of the illness.
- Stages of Schizophrenia.
- Schizophrenia symptoms progression with each stage.
JOURNAL CLUB + Q&A SERIES:
OMEGA-3-FATTY ACIDS FOR MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER MANAGEMENT?
This journal club discussion answered the following 10 questions:
- Are omega-3 fatty acids effective as augmentation or as monotherapy for MDD management?
- What dose of omega-3 fatty acid is considered therapeutic for the treatment of MDD?
- What ratio of EPA/DHA is crucial for omega-3 fatty acids’s therapeutic benefit?
- Is pure EHA more efficacious than the combination of EHA/DHA for MDD?
- What is the recommended minimum duration of treatment with omega-3 fatty acid for the treatment of MDD?
- Is omega-3 fatty acid efficacious for recurrent depression?
- What are the common adverse events at the therapeutic dose of omega-3 fatty acid?
- What additional lab work is required when using the higher dosages of omega-3 fatty acid?
- How to ensure the omega-3 fatty acid’s product quality before buying?
- Do omega-3 fatty acid’s response in MDD have a relation with inflammatory biomarkers?
SPEAKER OF THE MONTH: DR. WILLIAM SAUVE
PSEUDOBULBAR AFFECT (PBA): LEARN TO IDENTIFY & MANAGE
Dr. William Sauve discussed this clinically relevant topic in the following sections:
- PBA Definition: using old and new criteria’s
- Why diagnosing PBA matter?
- PBA: Underlying pathology.
- Which screening scale to use for evaluation for PBA?
- PBA Treatment: on and off-label options.
- Emerging treatment/future directions for PBA treatment.
(SCHIZOPHRENIA & RELATED DISORDERS):
PSYCHOLOGICAL APPROACHES FOR AUDITORY HALLUCINATIONS MANAGEMENT.
This 40 minutes video discussion is summarized in the following sections:
- Types of Coping Strategies.
- Rationale behind the negative impact of using dysfunctional coping skills.
- Examples of Ineffective & Effective Distraction Techniques.
- Discussion of Focusing Strategies: both evidence-based and non-evidence-based.
PEFA CHAPTER + Q&A SERIES:
(THERAPEUTIC DRUG MONITORING):
HOW TO SWITCH BETWEEN VALPROATE FORMULATIONS
This chapter is summarized in the following sections:
- Depakote dose equivalences & Tmax.
- Dosing recommendation for depakote.
- How to switch patients from delayed-release TO extended-release divalproex?
- Therapeutic level for depakote.
- Calculating depakote level in patients with low albumin level.
PEFA CHAPTER + Q&A SERIES:
(PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY WITH MEDICAL COMORBIDITIES):
TINNITUS & PSYCHOTROPICS
This chapter will discuss the risk of tinnitus with the following psychotropic medication classes:
- Antidepressants: Preferred & Avoid with Tinnitus.
- Mood Stabilizers: Preferred & Avoid with Tinnitus.
- Antipsychotics: Which one are Preferred?
- Anti-Anxiety Medications: Which one are Preferred?
- Other Medications: Which one are Preferred?
(ADVERSE EVENTS: ANTIDEPRESSANTS):
ANTIDEPRESSANTS INDUCED EXCESSIVE SWEATING
This chapter will discuss the available treatment options for the management of excessive sweating with antidepressants.
PEFA FORUM DISCUSSIONS:
- Difficult Case with Anxiety, Depression & Antidepressant Withdrawal: READ HERE
- Xyrem and SSRI: READ HERE
- Antidepressant & Risk of Memory Impairment: READ HERE
- Stimulants use with Renal Impairment: READ HERE
- Dual Pathology versus Substance-Induced Mental illness: READ HERE
- TCA of Choice for Panic Attacks? READ HERE
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
JOIN PSYCHIATRY EDUCATION FORUM ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP
This is a closed membership for medical professionals only.
- 30+ Courses/Sections: Each chapter within these sections is of direct clinical relevance for your daily practice.
- Journal Club: we will post the most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Coffee Club: contain short discussions with clinical experts in the field of psychiatry.
- Essentials of Inpatient Psychiatry Book: All chapters from this book are included in the academy sections.
- Discussion Forum & Community: Connect with other medical professionals and discuss your difficult-to-treat clinical cases.
- Conference Discounts: Academy members get discounted access at our conferences.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one place for ease of access.