MTHFR gene encodes for MethyleneTetraHydroFolate Reductase (MTHFR) enzyme. It is important to have the knowledge of the following two MTHFR polymorphisms for you to interpret the genetic testing MTHFR results.
- C677T > A1298C: Common and MTHFR enzyme activity reduction.
- TT and TC > CC: risk of depression.
- increased risk of depression.
- Asians had a greater genetic risk.
- might not be related to depression risk in the elderly.
- AA, AC, CC
- AA genotype are less likely to be in remission as compared to AC genotype.
Watch the following academy chapter summarizing this clinically relevant topic in the following five sections:
- Folate Metabolism and Depression.
- MTHFR Polymorphism.
- High-Risk Populations: Genetics & Non-Genetics.
- Additional Lab work for low folate evaluation.
- Treatment with L-Methylfolate: Dosing & Duration of Treatment.
WATCH ACADEMY CHAPTER:
Genetic Testing in Psychiatry: MTHFR & L-MethylFolate
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
JOIN PSYCHIATRY EDUCATION FORUM ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP
This is a closed membership for medical professionals only.
- 30+ Courses/Sections: Each chapter within these sections is of direct clinical relevance for your daily practice.
- Journal Club: we will post the most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Coffee Club: contain short discussions with clinical experts in the field of psychiatry.
- Essentials of Inpatient Psychiatry Book: All chapters from this book are included in the academy sections.
- Discussion Forum & Community: Connect with other medical professionals and discuss your difficult-to-treat clinical cases.
- Conference Discounts: Academy members get discounted access at our conferences.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one place for ease of access.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR EMAIL NEWSLETTER: