Can Ginkgo Biloba help with antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction?
WHAT IS THE LIKELY MECHANISM OF ACTION:
- Prostaglandin synthesis and vasodilation ==>
- resulting in increase peripheral blood flow and to facilitate the relaxation of smooth muscle tissue.
Ginkgo biloba extract has shown to improve the cognitive function in patients with vascular dementia. Note that Ginkgo biloba is widely used in China for this purpose due to its antioxidative and protective effects on neuronal cells.
Ginkgo Biloba for Antidepressants Induced Sexual Dysfunction
This chapter will be summarized in the following sections:
- Mechanism of action.
- What dose is found effective?
- Clinical facts
- Common side effects
- Drug interactions
- Available products & cost
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
JOIN ACADEMY & GET ACCESS TO FOLLOWING LECTURE SERIES:
SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION WITH PSYCHOTROPICS
This lecture series will discuss the psychotropics’ sexual side effects in the following six chapters:
(1) WHAT QUESTIONS TO ASK?
- This chapter will summarize the important questions you should ask each patient prior to the initiation and during treatment with psychotropic medications.
- Questionnaire PDF available for download.
(2) ANTIDEPRESSANTS: WHICH ONE IS PREFERRED?
Antidepressant’s risk of sexual side effect will be classified into:
- High Risk
- Medium Risk
- Low Risk
(3) ANTIDEPRESSANTS: RISK WITH SSRIs?
- Which SSRI carries less risk of sexual dysfunction?
- Do SSRIs differ with type of sexual side effects?
- Which patient population benefit from SSRIs sexual side effects?
- Do sexual side effects improve with continuation of antidepressant treatment?
- Do SSRIs sexual side effects differ between male & females?
(4) ANTIDEPRESSANTS: SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS MANAGEMENT.
- This chapter will discuss the 6 treatment approaches.
(5) ANTIPSYCHOTICS: WHICH ONE IS PREFERRED?
- Mechanism behind antipsychotics induced sexual dysfunction.
- High risk antipsychotics
- Low/No risk antipsychotics.
(6) ANTIPSYCHOTICS: SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS MANAGEMENT.
- This chapter will discuss the treatment approaches, including seven (7) augmentation approaches.
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
JOIN PSYCHIATRY EDUCATION FORUM ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP
This is a closed membership for medical professionals only.
- 30+ Courses/Sections: Each chapter within these sections is of direct clinical relevance for your daily practice.
- Journal Club: we will post the most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Coffee Club: contain short discussions with clinical experts in the field of psychiatry.
- Essentials of Inpatient Psychiatry Book: All chapters from this book are included in the academy sections.
- Discussion Forum & Community: Connect with other medical professionals and discuss your difficult-to-treat clinical cases.
- Conference Discounts: Academy members get discounted access at our conferences.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one place for ease of access.