Academy's Update for Feb 2024:
Here is the summary of our upcoming lecture schedule, YouTube videos & updates for Feb 2024:
Clinical Case Discussion: Antidepressants in Elderly with Reduced Renal Function.
Dr. Satinderpal Kaur (Family Medicine) & Dr. Harvinder Singh (Psychiatry) will continue their discussion to integrate clinical cases from Psychiatry and Medicine.
This clinical case discussion #4 will focus on:
- How to choose an antidepressant in elderly patients with reduced renal function.
- Adjusting antidepressant dose based on renal function.
- Chronic Kidney Disease: diagnosis, classification, and treatment.
Terazosin for Antidepressant Induced Excessive Sweating
The management of antidepressant-induced excessive sweating (ADIES) involves a multifaceted approach aimed at alleviating the symptoms while minimizing disruption to the patient’s mental health treatment. In cases where first-line measures are insufficient, pharmacological interventions may be explored.
In our YouTube video short clips: Dr. Singh will discuss the role of Terazosin in ADIES management.
[Feb 10]: How to Safely use Lithium with Breastfeeding?
The use of lithium in breastfeeding mothers requires careful consideration due to potential risks to both the mother and the infant. This chapter will be discussed in the following sections:
- Is Lithium Excreted into Breastmilk?
- When is an Infant at Risk?
- When is Breastfeeding appropriate with Lithium
- Recommendations for Lithium-treatment mother breastfeeding her full-term infant.
Is Lurasidone Safe with Weight Gain Risk?
Weight gain associated with antipsychotics can lead to other health concerns, including an elevated risk of metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and cardiovascular issues. Healthcare providers need to closely monitor patients for changes in weight and metabolic parameters during antipsychotic treatment, incorporating lifestyle interventions and, in some cases, considering alternative medications with a more favorable side effect profile.
In our YouTube video short clips, Dr. Singh will discuss if Lurasidone is a safer option with risk of weight gain?
[Feb 17]: Guanfacine XR for ADHD: Basics & Beyond
Non-stimulant medications serve as an alternative treatment option for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), particularly in cases where stimulants may not be suitable or are not well-tolerated. One such non-stimulant medication is Guanfacine XR.
In our new upcoming academy chapter: Dr. Singh will discuss the basics & beyond information regarding Guanfacine XR.
Auvelity: Understanding Mechanism of Action
On Aug 19, 2022 Axsome Therapeutics announced the FDA Approval of Auvelity, as the first and Only Oral NMDA Receptor Antagonist for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder in adults.
In our YouTube video short clips: Dr. Singh will discuss the underlying mechanism of action behind Auvelity’s antidepressant benefit.
INTERESTED IN ACCESS TO THIS & OTHER CLINICALLY RELEVANT LECTURE SERIES?
JOIN ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP:
This is a closed membership for medical professionals only.
- 400+ Clinically Relevant Chapters: Each chapter within these sections is of direct clinical relevance for your daily practice.
- Journal Club: we will post the most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Clinical Case Discussion: Dr. Singh (Psychiatry) and Dr. Kaur (Family Medicine) discuss clinical cases to integrate the clinical cases from Psychiatry and Medicine.
- Discussion Forum & Community: Connect with other medical professionals and discuss your difficult-to-treat clinical cases.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one place for ease of access.
DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE FOR: Residents & Students ONLY.
Email us your student information (program information and way to confirm your student status) to: HSingh@PsychiatryEducationForum.com
© 2024 All Rights Reserved.