Emotional Blunting with Antidepressants Versus Anhedonia from MDD?
Antidepressants are well known to cause this side effects of emotional blunting. It is clinically relevant to diagnose this early in the treatment as this can result in:
- Increased risk of medication discontinuation.
- Affect social functioning and prevent full recovery.
On the other hand, anhedonia from severe depression can present with symptoms similar to emotional blunting. Watch the following short video discussion from Psychiatry Education Forum Academy’s chapter on how to differentiate Emotional Blunting from Anhedonia?
How to Differentiate Emotional Blunting from Anhedonia?
We just updated the following lecture series on the Emotional Blunting with Antidepressants for our PEFA members:
This chapter is summarized in the following clinically relevant topics:
- What is emotional blunting with antidepressants: Clinical Features.
- Why is recognizing emotional blunting important?
- How to differentiate emotional blunting from anhedonia?
- What is the likely mechanism behind antidepressants induced emotional blunting?
- How common is emotional blunting with antidepressants: Prevalence?
- What assessment scales can be used?
- Management options?
- Journal Club Discussion: Is Vortioxetine Effective For Emotional Blunting In MDD?
INTERESTED IN THIS DISCUSSION & MORE?
JOIN PSYCHIATRY EDUCATION FORUM ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP
This is a closed membership for medical professionals only.
- 30+ Courses/Sections: Each chapter within these sections is of direct clinical relevance for your daily practice.
- Journal Club: we will post the most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Coffee Club: contain short discussions with clinical experts in the field of psychiatry.
- Essentials of Inpatient Psychiatry Book: All chapters from this book are included in the academy sections.
- Discussion Forum & Community: Connect with other medical professionals and discuss your difficult-to-treat clinical cases.
- Conference Discounts: Academy members get discounted access at our conferences.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one place for ease of access.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR EMAIL NEWSLETTER: