Bipolar disorder can affect people of all ages, including elderly individuals. However, the symptoms and treatment of bipolar disorder in elderly people may differ from those in younger individuals. Psychiatry Education Forum Academy has summarized this clinically relevant topic in the following four chapters:
Here is one slide from this presentation on the role of lithium in bipolar disorder management in older adults:
Lithium is a medication commonly used to treat bipolar disorder, a condition that can affect people of all ages, including the elderly population. While lithium can be an effective treatment for bipolar disorder, there are some specific considerations to keep in mind when using lithium in elderly patients.
(1) HOW TO DIAGNOSE?
- Understanding the prevalence and diagnostic criteria for bipolar disorder in the geriatric population.
- How are DSM-5 criteria different from DSM-IV?
- How to differentiate Bipolar 1 vs 2 disorder in the elderly?
- Will a manic or hypomanic episode triggered by antidepressants fulfill the diagnostic criteria in the elderly?
- Secondary Mania: rule out these medical conditions first.
(2) CLINICAL FEATURES, ILLNESS COURSE & PROGNOSIS
- Understanding the limitation in evidence for bipolar disorder in older adults.
- Age of Onset: Important association of early-onset & late-onset bipolar disorder.
- What are the precipitants of bipolar disorder in the elderly?
- Course of bipolar disorder illness in elderly: duration of episodes, inter-episode intervals & relapse risk.
- What is the risk of psychotic episodes, rapid cycling, and hospitalization in older adults?
- Risk of suicide in bipolar disorder in the elderly?
- Understanding the impact of late-life bipolar disorder on psychosocial functioning.
(3) EFFECTS ON COGNITION & RISK OF DEMENTIA?
- Which cognitive domains are affected?
- Are cognitive deficits in bipolar disorder related to the severity or duration of psychiatric symptoms?
- How do these cognitive domains changes with time?
- Can bipolar disorder increase the risk of dementia?
- Neuroimaging findings in late-life bipolar disorder.
(4) MANAGEMENT OF GERIATRIC BIPOLAR DISORDER
- Bipolar Depression: which medication(s) have shown efficacy?
- Comparing Lithium versus Depakote for bipolar disorder in the elderly.
- Role of Lithium in older adults with bipolar disorder?
- Which antipsychotic(s) medication has shown efficacy for bipolar depression, mania & hypomania?
- Role of maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder in elderly.
INTERESTED IN ACCESS TO THIS & OTHER CLINICALLY RELEVANT LECTURE SERIES?
JOIN PSYCHIATRY EDUCATION FORUM ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP
This is a closed membership for medical professionals only.
- 30+ Courses/Sections: Each chapter within these sections is of direct clinical relevance for your daily practice.
- Journal Club: we will post the most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Coffee Club: contain short discussions with clinical experts in the field of psychiatry.
- Clinical Case Discussions: Discussions of clinical cases from our daily clinical practice.
- Discussion Forum & Community: Connect with other medical professionals and discuss your difficult-to-treat clinical cases.
- Essentials of Inpatient Psychiatry Book: All chapters from this book are included in the academy sections.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one place for ease of access.
JOIN ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP:
DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE FOR: Residents & Students ONLY.
Email us your student information (program information and way to confirm your student status) to: HSingh@PsychiatryEducationForum.com