Therapeutic Drug Monitoring: Aripiprazole
Therapeutic drug monitoring have limited value in the clinical use of aripiprazole. It may be useful in assuring adherence and optimizing response in individuals.
Target plasma level: range of between 150- 210 ng/mL is suggested.
Laboratory alert level = 1000 ng/ml.
Time to reach steady state = 14 days.
For Adverse Effects: No or only mild side effects were detected in patients with aripiprazole plasma concentrations between 110 and 249 ng/ml.
Coadministration of CYP3A4 inducer: resulted in approximately 60% lower mean Concentration:Dose (C:D) ratios of aripiprazole, dehydroaripiprazole, and the sum of aripiprazole and dehydroaripiprazole.
Combination with CYP2D6 inhibitor: resulted in a 45% higher mean C:D ratio of aripiprazole, with no effect on the C:D ratio of dehydroaripiprazole.
Combination with lithium: 43% higher mean C:D ratio of aripiprazole.
- J Clin Psychiatry. 2010 Nov;71(11):1447-56.
- Clin Chem 2005; 51:1718–21.
- World J Biol Psychiatry. 2008;9(3):212-8.
- Ther Drug Monit. 2009 Apr;31(2):233-8.
- Ther Drug Monit. 1998 Aug;20(4):380-4.
- Am J Psychiatry 2006; 163:396–401.
- Ther Drug Monit. 2004 Apr;26(2):156-60.
- Acta Pharm. 64 (2014) 387–401.
- Psychiatr. Pol. 2017; 51(6): 1059–1077.
- Pharmacopsychiatry. 2011 Sep;44(6):236-48.
For Physician's Guide for Clinical Psychiatry Subscribers
Read this COURSE CHAPTER for detailed information on following topics:
Therapeutic Drug Monitoring: Aripiprazole.
Therapeutic Drug Monitoring: Risperidone.
Therapeutic Drug Monitoring: Olanzapine.
Therapeutic Drug Monitoring: Clozapine.
Therapeutic Drug Monitoring: Quetiapine.
Therapeutic Drug Monitoring: Ziprasidone.
Recommendation Summary of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring for antipsychotics.
Dr. Harvinder Singh, MD
Admin, Psychiatry Education Forum