Supportive Psychotherapy- High Yield Facts
– If therapist expresses praise for something that patient cannot feel good about, therapist’s words will be ineffective & may even have a negative effect.
– Find opportunities to respond with honest praise.
– Must be honest
– It is never acceptable to offer reassurance that is simply what patient/family wants to hear.
– Adages and maxims are a form of normalizing
– Is powerful, because people want to believe that their efforts will lead to something.
– Two meaning of word “encourage”- to stimulate, and to give hope.
Rationalizing and Reframing:
– The challenge here to avoid sounding fatuous and to avoid what may appear to be argument or contradiction.
– Important tactic
– not to give advice on issues about which patient can make his or her own decisions.
– appropriate to give advice about activities of daily living to seriously impaired patients.
Please do post your questions or comments below.
Dr. Harvinder Singh, M.D. (Admin)
Enroll in our online course to have access to all important clinically relevant psychiatry topics in one place.