BEFORE SCROLLING DOWN ==>
SUBMIT YOUR ANSWERS FIRST 🙂
APA 2007 guideline recommends that successful medication treatment for OCD be continued for 1–2 years before considering a gradual taper.
Study Supporting Continuation of Active Treatment:
- Meta-analysis compared data from five double blind discontinuation studies.
- Relapse occurred in 22.7% subjects on active treatment versus 41.6% placebo group.
Risk of Discontinuation at <12 months:
- Study found that discontinuing successful augmentation after 1–12 months resulted in relapse for more than 80% (15/18) of patients.
- Most within 2 months of discontinuation.
- American Psychiatric Association. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with obsessive compulsive disorder. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association, 2007.
- J Affect Disord. 2010 Jun;123(1-3):9-16.
- Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2003; 18:23–28.
Please do post your questions or comments below.
Dr. Harvinder Singh, M.D. (Admin)
Enroll in our online course to have access to all important clinically relevant psychiatry topics in one place.