Today we are excited to announce Psychiatry Education Forum Academy’s next discussion with release date for this Saturday (July 24):
It is important to have knowledge of these six neuro-cognitive domains for the evaluation & diagnosis of dementia subtypes:
- Complex Attention
- Executive Function
- Memory & Learning
- Social Cognition
Let’s begin by answering this question first:
Answer: (b) Vascular Dementia
According to DSM-5, the clinical features of vascular dementia are consistent with a vascular etiology as suggested by either of the following:
- Onset of the cognitive deficits is temporally related to one or more cerebrovascular events; or
- Evidence for decline is prominent in complex attention (including processing speed) and frontal executive functions.
In this series: I have only included discussions on how to evaluate these neuro-cognitive domains in your daily clinical practice. This discussion series will be summarized in the following six sections:
(1) Complex Attention: 15 min discussion on how to test:
- Sustained Attention
- Selective Attention
- Divided Attention
- Processing Speed
(2) Executive Function: 12 min discussion on how to test:
- Inhibitory Control
- Working Memory
- Cognitive Flexibility
(3) Memory & Learning: 15 min discussion on how to test:
- Immediate Memory
- Recent Memory
- Semantic/Long term Memory
- Autobiographical Memory
(4) Language: 10 min discussion on how to test:
- Expressive Language
- Grammar & Syntax
- Receptive Language
(5) Perceptual Motor: 10 min discussion on how to test:
(6) Social Cognition: 10 min discussion on how to test:
- Recognition of Emotions
- Theory of Mind
INTERESTED IN THIS DISCUSSION & MORE?
JOIN PSYCHIATRY EDUCATION FORUM ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP
This is a closed membership for medical professionals only.
- 30+ Courses/Sections: Each chapter within these sections is of direct clinical relevance for your daily practice.
- Journal Club: we will post the most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Coffee Club: contain short discussions with clinical experts in the field of psychiatry.
- Essentials of Inpatient Psychiatry Book: All chapters from this book are included in the academy sections.
- Discussion Forum & Community: Connect with other medical professionals and discuss your difficult-to-treat clinical cases.
- Conference Discounts: Academy members get discounted access at our conferences.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one place for ease of access.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR EMAIL NEWSLETTER: