NeuroAnatomical Location of Depression Symptoms
- Amygdala and Prefrontal cortex: Guilt, Suicidality and Worthlessness.
- Nucleus accumbens: Pleasure, Interest, and Energy.
- Hypothalamus: Sleep and Appetite.
- Functional imaging studies associate depression with opposite patterns of activity in these areas: Hypoactivity in dlPFC (dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex) but hyperactivity in vmPFC (ventromedialPrefrontal Cortex).
- dlPFC lesions exacerbate depressive symptoms whereas vmPFC lesions diminish depressive symptoms.
- Clinical Implication in Depression Treatment: TMS mediated excitation of dlPFC but DBS mediated inhibition of vmPFC.
Please do post your questions or comments below.
Dr. Harvinder Singh, M.D. (Admin)
Enroll in our online course to have access to all important clinically relevant psychiatry topics in one place.