Welcoming a new life into the world is a joyous occasion, but for mothers grappling with bipolar disorder, the decision to breastfeed becomes a nuanced consideration when lithium is part of their treatment plan.
Balancing the benefits of breastfeeding with the potential risks associated with lithium use requires careful evaluation and open communication with healthcare professionals. This collaborative approach empowers both parties to make informed decisions that align with the best interests of both mother and child.
Let’s begin by answering this question first:
Answer: Reduce the mother’s lithium dose to preconception amount immediately after delivery.
Here is one slide from our academy’s new chapter answering this question:
NEW LECTURE ADDED FOR ACADEMY MEMBERS:
This will be our new chapter addition to the academy’s Maternal Mental Health lecture series, where Dr. Harvinder Singh has summarized this clinically relevant topic.
This chapter will be summarized in the following sections:
- Is Lithium Excreted into Breastmilk?
- When is an Infant at Risk?
- When is Breastfeeding appropriate with Lithium
- Recommendations for Lithium-treatment mother breastfeeding her full-term infant.
LITHIUM USE DURING LACTATION
JOIN EMAIL NEWSLETTER (FREE):
INTERESTED IN ACCESS TO THIS & OTHER CLINICALLY RELEVANT LECTURE SERIES?
JOIN ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP:
This is a closed membership for medical professionals only.
- 400+ Clinically Relevant Chapters: Each chapter within these sections is of direct clinical relevance for your daily practice.
- Journal Club: we will post the most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Clinical Case Discussion: Dr. Singh (Psychiatry) and Dr. Kaur (Family Medicine) discuss clinical cases to integrate the clinical cases from Psychiatry and Medicine.
- Discussion Forum & Community: Connect with other medical professionals and discuss your difficult-to-treat clinical cases.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one place for ease of access.
DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE FOR: Residents & Students ONLY.
Email us your student information (program information and way to confirm your student status) to: HSingh@PsychiatryEducationForum.com
© 2024 All Rights Reserved.