Hydroxychloroquine is a medication used for the treatment of malaria, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus erythematosus. In 2020, it gained attention as a potential treatment for COVID-19.
Hydroxychloroquine can interact with some psychiatric medications, including antidepressants and antipsychotics. The specific interactions can vary based on the particular medications involved. For this reason, it is clinically relevant to have the knowledge of this interaction when your patient is on Hydroxychloroquine.
We continue our academy’s clinical case discussion series with the following second case:
This patient continued to report the persistence of depression, anxiety, and OCD symptoms.
How will you manage this case?
Let’s answer this question first:
- for the risk of QTc prolongation with a combination of escitalopram & hydroxychloroquine.
We have discussed this topic in our academy’s second clinical case discussion series:
Drug Interactions: Hydroxychloroquine & Psychotropics
This chapter will be summarized in the following sections:
- Clinical case discussion: patient on hydroxychloroquine with antidepressant & antipsychotic.
- Hydroxychloroquine: Metabolism & role of CYP450.
- Antidepressants & Hydroxychloroquine: (a) Preferred; (b) Cautions; (c) Avoid
- Antipsychotics & Hydroxychloroquine: (a) Preferred; (b) Cautions; (c) Avoid
Clinical Case Discussion #2
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
JOIN PSYCHIATRY EDUCATION FORUM ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP
This is a closed membership for medical professionals only.
- 30+ Courses/Sections: Each chapter within these sections is of direct clinical relevance for your daily practice.
- Journal Club: we will post the most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Coffee Club: contain short discussions with clinical experts in the field of psychiatry.
- Clinical Case Discussions: Discussions of clinical cases from our daily clinical practice.
- Discussion Forum & Community: Connect with other medical professionals and discuss your difficult-to-treat clinical cases.
- Essentials of Inpatient Psychiatry Book: All chapters from this book are included in the academy sections.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one place for ease of access.