You must be aware of life-threatening challenges posted on social media in past, including the Tide Pod Challenge (in 2018) and the Bird Box Challenge (in 2019).
We have this new challenge posted on TikTok recently called “Benadryl Challenge“, which is encouraging people to take Benadryl in large amounts with the goal of inducing hallucinations.
On Sep 24, 2020: FDA issued this warning with following instructions:
(1) Risk with Higher dose:
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in higher than recommended doses can cause serious heart problems, seizures, coma, or even death.
(2) Parents & caregivers:
- should lock and store diphenhydramine containing over the counter product in safe locations away from children’s reach.
- more caution during the COVID-19 pandemic, as kids are spending more time at home.
(3) Health care professionals:
- be aware of this challenge among children.
- Educate and alert caregivers about this challenge.
- Keep this in your differential diagnosis if a child is presenting with a suspected overdose.
What steps are taken by the authorities?
- FDA has strongly urged TikTok to remove this and any additional video on this topic.
- Johnson & Johnson has also posted this warning about the challenge.
- According to Healthline: TikTok is removing the posts related to this challenge.
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
JOIN OUR COURSE & GET ACCESS TO CHAPTERS ON THIS TOPIC:
(1) Hydroxyzine and Risk of QTc Prolongation:
- This chapter will discuss the updated European Medicines Agency recommendations for hydroxyzine prescription.
- The maximum recommended dose for adults & children.
- Contraindications for hydroxyzine use.
- Precautions in the elderly.
- Drug Interactions.
(2) Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome Vs Serotonin Syndrome Vs Anticholinergic Toxicity Vs Malignant Hyperthermia:
- This chapter will discuss the nine clinical differentiating features of these conditions.
PHYSICIAN’S GUIDE FOR CLINICAL PSYCHIATRY COURSE
- Total chapters: 250+ Chapters.
- Chapters and Sections are frequently updated.
- Peer2Peer ChatRoom: Makes learning process more active via engagement among subscribers.
- Journal Club: we will post most recently published psychiatry articles relevant to your daily clinical practice.
- Coffee Club: contain short discussions with clinical experts in the field of psychiatry
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one course.
- Annual Subscription of $65/year: for continued access to course on an annual basis.