This clinical topic will be summarized in the following 9 sections:
- Does metformin have role in the prevention and treatment of antipsychotic induced weight gain?
- Does metformin have role in the treatment of antipsychotic induced dyslipidemia?
- Does metformin have effect on weight gain associated with antipsychotics use in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders?
- How is metformin dosed: starting dose & dose titration.
- What dose of metformin is found effective in treatment of antipsychotic induced weight gain?
- Precautions with metformin use: When to discontinue metformin treatment?
- Contraindication for metformin use.
- Laboratory monitoring with metformin use.
- Common adverse events associated with metformin.
This course chapter is available for a free preview and PDF download:
For Physician’s Guide for Clinical Psychiatry Subscribers:
Pharmacological Management of Antipsychotics-Induced Weight Gain will be discussed in the following four chapters:
- Which antipsychotics are known for most weight gain among each other?
- Which antipsychotics have the least risk of significant weight change?
- Does the duration of antipsychotic use have an impact on weight gain?
- Will switching antipsychotics to aripiprazole, ziprasidone or amisulpride result in weight loss?
- How is weight gain in the antipsychotic naive patient subgroup?
- Which factors are important to consider with weight gain from antipsychotics?
Subscribe to Physician’s Guide for Clinical Psychiatry:
and get access to these chapters (and total 243 chapters)
- Total chapters= 243 and counting.
- Chapters and Sections are frequently updated.
- Each chapter includes references: with either pdf article or pubmed link for each article.
- Triweekly Email Clinical Summary: subscribers receive 3 emails/week.
- Goal: is to have all important clinically relevant topics in one course.
- Annual Subscription of $65/year: for continued access to course on an annual basis.